Pages

Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Just for the heck of it.

Persistance of Degradation - The Misogynist

Persistence of Degradation – The Misogynist

Acrylic and Ink on MDF - 122 x 94 cm

David Howard – 2010

The above painting was based on a series of quickly drawn nudes from a stint of life drawing episodes, from a few years ago. In this work the figures are in various stages of obliteration – sort of a loss of information, leaning towards stylising and becoming iconic.

In some ways this loss of information becomes new information added, as the images take on new meanings. Originally the concept of the nude studies was to take the figure drawn and elevate them beyond just studies into something else. 

This re-contextualising the figures takes the focus of the sloppy drawing (as a study) and in turn generates interests in the situation or event depicted.

Two male figures surrounded by females who are in various stages of degradation. The halos, are sort of like  a quadruple holiness or a transcendence that magnifies.  And just for the heck of it (because I didn’t have much else to sacrifice at the art altar) I have entered it with a few other obscure David works at the local competition. I will be surprised if I get a hanging – but really, I just don’t know what these people want – so, I will try anything.

Judy's last wave detail

This is a detail from ‘Judy’s Last Wave’ – I just had to take this photo because it’s as plain as the nose on your face, that I never finished drawing the nose. This of course, for me, makes the piece have tension and will forever be some sort of irritant – until it is destroyed, long after I have died by someone, somewhere, who no doubt thought they had been cursed by this drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All Artwork Copyright by the Artists represented on this Blog. 2010