Pages

Saturday, 22 November 2008

A bird in the hand.

I saw a Bearded Dragon in my garden the other day - it just froze and stared at me, eventually rotating it's head as I passed by, keeping a firm lock on my eyes. That is the first large lizard I have seen in my yard for at least ten years. Mostly I see skinks and the newish immigrant Asian House Gecko.

Besides an occasional snake, we have have tons of birds, everything from Magpies, Kookaburras, Butcher Birds, Pigeons, Plovers and an occasional astronaut.

The detail below is from NASA No 5, which is nearing completion - more details on my NASA series and NASA N0 5 can be found on my blog here.

Detail from NASA No 5 - Flood at NASA 2008

5 comments:

  1. They're kind of cute the NASA paintings in a Japanese way, with features reduced to icons, playful with a disturbing reality to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think you've nailed it Simon. The NASA paintings are quite a bit like that. In many ways I prefer to state things this way, otherwise they become too contrived and over stated. Better to take people by surprise and let the subject matter grow on them as they read the works.
    I like to reduce things to icons, because then I can talk about universals more freely without pinning down a subject to a particular person or group. I am really focusing on types, beliefs and ideas - I have been doing this for a very long time. Some artist can do the opposite which I respect. i.e. Picasso's 'Guernica' or many of Goya's work. Actually Goya and Picasso do both - they focus on a particular real advent and also discuss the issues in a more universal way. I think it's a real mark of a great artist, when they can load so much into an artwork and maintain balance between form and function in such a poetic way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brian - I will check out your blogs and stuff - looks like your involved up to your neck in the deeper side of art.

    ReplyDelete

All Artwork Copyright by the Artists represented on this Blog. 2010