Pages

Friday, 28 March 2008

Resource site and twins

For a few months now, I have been casually creating a Artist Blog resource site. If you are new to blogging or interested check out the ArtProofer site.

Here are two paintings from a short lived (but not dead) series based on twins - dichotomies, duality, relationship, contrasts, and symbiotic relationships. The original drawing for these two paintings had a free form verse/text attached.

Twins One (Release the man)

Twins Two (Realise the Man)

The text for the above two paintings is:

Break the stick; break the neck of my transgression.
Set the soul on fire, set the sun on my desire.
Wheels within wheels within wheels within wheels,
the double sun of my darkness.
All alone - alone aflame - wet the water of my drenching.
Release the man, release the soul that counts my blessings.
Hang my head in shame, raise my arms in praise.
Torn asunder like my master.
Break the stick, release the man.

All of the dual paintings from the series had a tripartite element - as an explanatory/commentary/connecting text.

The text of another of the diptych (Triptych) works was formed in a special way. One evening we had a few friends over and I set the paintings up in the lounge room. At that stage there was no text written to complement the work. I handed everyone a pen and a few sheets of paper and asked them to create the text for the work. After much swapping of panels from left to right and back again we settled on an order of display. We then wrote many short poems and had many laughs. I never used any of the final poems but afterwards when I was alone, spontaneously and surprisingly quickly, came up with the final text.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All Artwork Copyright by the Artists represented on this Blog. 2010