Pages

Friday, 5 October 2007

Other places, other times.

I found an interesting Blog by Sean Art O'Brien called Art talk. In his profile he states, "In ART TALK you will hear interviews with leading Australasian artists and curators." Also in his banner it reads, " In-depth conversations with leading Australian and international artists & curators. From the Sydney based radio program Art Talk." He uses the podomatic podcasting tool, as a way to present his interviews, on his blog.

I feel the blogging tool is an excellent medium for artists, it has so much potential for networking and sharing ideas. Not only can you present your work and receive feedback, there is also potential for sales. The challenge is to make the most of this incredible tool, while it is not controlled and still free. Where else can you connect with other artists without selling your soul. Although I love visiting galleries, I find the supporting culture at times exclusive, snobby and overly protective. Why can't the new contemporary art gallery in Brisbane, show at least once a year a survey of various Queensland artists who are subsisting in the undergarments of contemporary art. There are quite a few out there, and there work at times is very interesting. I for one would love to see a big gallery represent the culture that supports it instead of the usual suspects, who have risen to the top of the heap.

Roj has had some interesting discussion about art process on his blog. Is process akin to religious experience? Some religions focus on rules, legalism, and form while others focus on experience, and freedom. Is process a tangible entity in itself or just a means to an end? Or is process an experience that acts as a pressure release valve for our inner person?

Here are some quotes from Michelangelo -

"Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."

"
I hope that I may always desire more than I can accomplish."

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."

"
If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem wonderful at all."

"It is well with me only when I have a chisel in my hand."

"
The greatest artist has no conception which a single block of white marble does not potentially contain within its mass, but only a hand obedient to the mind can penetrate to this image."

"
A man paints with his brains and not with his hands."

He seems to be thinking more like an artist than a plumber.

Here are a few Marcel Duchamp quotes -

"
I am interested in ideas, not merely in visual products."

"
I don't believe in art. I believe in artists."

"
I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste. "

"The individual, man as a man, man as a brain, if you like, interests me more than what he makes, because I've noticed that most artists only repeat themselves. "

Interesting contrast between the two artists.

Below is a drawing/painting that combines my earlier abstracted rock shapes into the new found frontier of the Glasshouse mountains. Slowly I lift my gaze from the ground where I began and look to the mountains, who are peeking at me through the trees.

Primitives - 1991 - Acrylic and pencil on paper - 57x72cm

1 comment:

  1. I'm not quite sure what your trying to say here but the subtlety in which you are saying it interests me. I guess the thing for me is that these two guys did what they did and everyone else does what they do, there is no right way just different ways. It's personal expression. So don't you want to know what the Photo is?

    ReplyDelete

All Artwork Copyright by the Artists represented on this Blog. 2010