Pages

Thursday, 28 June 2007

Binna Burra

No 5 - 1981

No 5 is acrylic and charcoal on paper. This was produced after going on an student art trip to Binna Burra on the Gold Coast. I produced a series of quick drawings based on the bush foliage. Branches, rocks, leaves - these were usually stylized and abstracted to give a quick impression and to keep the marks fresh.
These spontaneous works are in direct contrast to my heavier labored mark making of today. Maybe it's the desire to have an artwork look finished or that I think it needs to look like a lot of work has gone into it. But there is something fresh and simple about this type of work - it's less contrived. The trick is to produce art work today that is direct but more sophisticated.
In Brett Whitely's best work you can see this sheer spontaneous line sing across the page in service to his central theme. In his worst work you can see the dust of death rising to choke as he labors to find his true self.
Oh, well back to the drawing board.

5 comments:

  1. When I first saw this I didn't think it was one of yours David, except for the line around the outside, I like the freedom of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, freedom is hard to generate when you try to hard. Hope you didn't mind that I posted a few music tracks of yours. Check out the bottom of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. less contrived. I'm into that and I do like the looseness and humanity of the marks. The challenge is to retain this energy in a marketable finished piece of work. You can't put together a show of work that is un-saleable unless you have some kind of sponsorship or money to burn. Have you sold any work that is painted in this manner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I am not famous enough.
    If I sell anything it is usually very recognizable. I honestly, have never been a great one for wanting to sell, I just do my thing and produce. But at 45 I am thinking about it more. But I don't like the idea of selling out or following a formula. Art production means more to me than glory and cash. But I won't complain if they come my way......ha.
    It's the ideas and the freedom that are exciting. Who wants to be robbed of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a triptych on rice paper with ink - long panels with primitive figures on them. It was for a group show. I didn't bother putting a price on them because it never occured to me that anyone would want them. Amazingly, someone did. I think I sold the lot for $30.

    ReplyDelete

All Artwork Copyright by the Artists represented on this Blog. 2010