Pages

Monday, 25 June 2007

Big Orange

Big Orange Tree -1995 - 136x104cm

This painting was produced in acrylic on masonite (hardboard). I produced a smaller paper version first, then just freely upscaled it. I exhibited this painting a few years back in a solo show in Caloundra, Qld. At the show I made available a set of clear lensed 3D glasses, similar to the ones you use at Movie Worlds 3D film shows. When in use the paintings look rather dramatic, the colours and shapes break into separated planes. You can see distance between these planes, it's quite amazing. Everyone wanted to have a look. A lady who could only see out of one eye, told me that she could see no effect. It works the best with colours that have a strong complimentary relationship.
I wonder what a black light would look like at a show if I turned the main lights off and played a video as well. There was a black light in use in one of the walk-in artworks at the new Queensland Modern Art Gallery. I sell them in my Hardware shop. Hmmm.....tempting.


3 comments:

  1. is blacklight the same as ultraviolet? I'm looking at some sort of minimal lighting for sound performances

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way the shapes in this painting are pushing against one another, the sky /tree interaction is dynamic, makes me feel uneasy. Or is it those sneaky black lines vibrating away?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the blacklight is a form of ultra violet. Check out the link in the post text, it is an article on black lights. The light makes white really stand out, especially peoples eyes and teeth.
    Yes, elisabeth the spaces between the branches were considered as active shapes as well. The complimentary orange/blue really adds zing. The black lines are irregular in thickness, and so the eye doesn't relax as much, as it follows the contours.

    ReplyDelete

All Artwork Copyright by the Artists represented on this Blog. 2010